Student Code of Conduct
Bethune MS Consequence Matrix
The Consequence Matrix demonstrates how specific behaviors will be handled by ALL members of the Bethune faculty and by administration.
What is the Bethune Mustang Reflection?
The Mustang Reflection is an opportunity for a student to reflect about behavior preventing them from a successful outcome in the classroom. The teacher/staff member may ask a student to complete a reflection in order to support redirection toward positive behavior.
I agree that there is a need for rules in order to insure my rights and the rights of others. In this regard, the following rules are minimum expectations that, when broken, infringe upon the rights of others.
I understand that these rules encompass only a part of the entire spectrum of behavior standards that are expected at Bethune Middle School.
- To respect my teachers and classmates by participating in class activities without disruption.
- To follow the directions of all staff members, including substitutes, and to respect this authority.
- To protect school property and people’s belongings.
- That the use of profanity or rudeness is not acceptable and I will communicate in a manner that is not offensive to others.
- To abide by the classroom policy set forth by my teachers.
- To follow the attendance procedures established by Bethune. I agree to come to school on time and remain on campus during the entire school day unless I have permission for an early dismissal. I will not leave class without a hall pass.
- That conflict can be resolved in a healthy, constructive manner and I will not resort to physical means to reach this goal. I will seek the help of adults if necessary.
- To wear uniform shoes and appropriate (no sex, drugs, alcohol, tobacco, profanity or gang affiliation) dress while attending.
- To follow LAUSD acceptable technology use while on and off campus.
I AGREE that there are logical consequences for breaking school rules and that certain behavior may be classified as less serious than others, but still very important to my personal success within the school setting.
These behaviors include but are not limited to:
- Tardiness/ Truancy
- Lack of Cooperation with Substitutes
- Inappropriate Remarks/Behavior/Attitude/Rudeness
- Unprepared for Class
- Riding Bicycles, Skateboards, or Skates on Campus
I understand that one or more of the following corrective actions may result if I break these rules:
- Parent Contact
- Campus Cleanup
- Written Essay
Other behaviors are classified as more serious than those previously listed. They include but are not limited to the following:
- Possession of:
- Controlled Substances
- Matches or Other Inflammables
I understand that one or more of the following corrective actions will result if I break these rules:
- Parent Contact
- Loss of Privileges
- Referral to Law Enforcement or Other Community Agencies
BMS CORRECTIVE ACTION MATRIX
Tier 1 - Class
(In-Class Corrective Action)
1. Incomplete/ Refusal to Work
2. Foul Language
3. Horseplay, Not Focused
Tier 2 - Class & Referral
(In-class referral after warning, Corrective Action & Parent conference)
1. Disruption to Learning
2. Missed class detention
3. Foul language
5. Off task
Tier 3 - Immediate Referral
(Corrective Action immediate referral & Parent Conference)
1. Defiance/ Disruption (Instruction cannot proceed with student present)
4. Inappropriate tech usage (recording, mature content, cyberbullying)
(Corrective Action that follow separate plans from matrix)
- 3x = Detention
- SART Letter
- SARB Hearing
2. Dress Code
- Sent to Office for clothing change
3. Academic Dishonesty
- 0% on assignment/test
- Noted in Schoology
- Call Home